Street Lights

Posted by Drew Coffman | | Posted On Saturday, September 12, 2009 at 6:13 PM

'Street Lights'

- Kanye West

YES, Kanye West. Since my last thoughts were rather serious reflections on our similarity to Judas, I decided that mainstream hip-hop would be a good 180.

I bring this song up for a reason. Mr. West is a definite point of contention in many musical circles. While critically lauded as a powerhouse producer and of obvious mainstream popularity, his lyrical skills are often called into question, and he's known for his temper and so called Kanye-isms, such as the recent quote dubbing himself a "proud non-reader of books" and perhaps more famously proclaiming "George Bush doesn't care about black people." On top of this, his latest album was arguably his least appreciated, as much was said of his decision to sing on most songs, using the generous auto-tune vocal processor to hide his less than perfect voice.

However, I find this latest album, 808 & Heartbreaks, to be far and away his best work, and for one reason.

It's honest.

Honest in a way I can sincerely appreciate. See, what struck me about this album was the lack of that bravado West is well known for, replaced instead by a true show of emotion which I found compelling. The song 'Street Lights' is the greatest example, a simple song about driving down the road and contemplating how fast life can change, with moments fading into the past far too rapidly. He goes on to say "I know my destination, but I'm just not there" and in the end seems overwhelmed by the totality of the world.

I like this song because of its simple, childlike nature. I like it because I want to reflect that in my life more often than I feel I do. I like it because I want that honesty and transparency in my own life, and because sometimes we all feel like life isn't fair. I like it because it's a reminder of God's grace as we go through the usual emotional circles.

I think it's important, because it shows that everyone in the world is crying out with those same feelings.

West has often said that his goal is to sing from and emulate the perspective of a "regular person" and I find this song to be a great example. Regardless of fame or wealth, people seek more from life, and see that the world is a fleeting thing. There must be more to it all. West knows it, and his fans do too. The childlike song appeals to the teenager in all of us, the one who finds reality too harsh, and seeks escape or solace. God can provide.

This song is definitely simple. West has never been well known for his superb lyrical skills, and this song is true to form. No walls were shattered rhyming words like "grow" and "know" or "there" and "fare." However, there is an art to simplicity, and this song makes the grade as a reminder of where the world is, and the void that only God can fill.

Edit: I post this only to have West once again take the spotlight the very next day at the VMA awards, pulling one of his most hated stunts to date. Regardless of mixed feelings of West after yet another mishap, I think this new event only makes reaffirms my thoughts.

Comments:

There are 2 comments for Street Lights